Here’s how you can find out whether meal replacement shakes or green smoothies will work best for you!
Whey protein shakes and plant powders: How each works
How Whey Protein Powders work in your body
Manufacturers use whey protein to make meal replacement shakes. With essential vitamins and minerals, those dieting find them convenient meal substitutes. Those who are ill and have no appetite seek solace in whey protein shakes, as they have essential vitamins and minerals.
Whey, the liquid by-product of cheese production, is more important for your body than you may realize. This humble relative of cheese has amino acids, proteins which course through your body and repair damaged cells. Protein is an important part of every body system. Whey has the protein that makes these systems work. Your body makes protein of its own, and whey complements them.
With its ability to build muscle, many people take whey proteins to strengthen and grow muscle cells. Whey is also a potent weight loss solution, and many weight watchers rely on it to slim down.
Why green smoothies are good for you
Should you turn at the thought of taking in proteins from animals, you may consider drawing them from green smoothies instead. Like whey shakes, vegetable and fruit powders have the essential amino acids that the body needs. Producers of green shakes augment their creations with probiotics (live bacteria that ease digestion), prebiotics (bacteria that probiotics feed on) and antioxidants. Two spoons of such powders account for 81 of the ingredients our body needs daily.
Green smoothies normally have extensive and good ingredients; hey include land vegetables with known antioxidant properties such as wheatgrass, beetroot and grain. Manufacturers of these shakes add
probiotics such as lactobacillus acidophilus and enzymes such as Q10.
Why should you drink whey protein shakes?
- Whey helps you shed off unwanted weight.
- Whey lowers cholesterol levels.
- Whey improves immunity.
- Whey suppressed hunger by controlling ghrelin in your body.
- This animal based protein lowers risk of cancer.
- It relives you from stress.
Whey protein shakes may or may not work, but why?
Whey protein may not have what it takes for overall good health; here are several reasons why it may not work:
- Whey builds muscle so you may end up gaining weight, it can only work to build muscle and decrease fat if you exercise well.
- It may not be the best option for lactose intolerant people.
- This cheese residue is also known to trigger allergic reactions such as diarrhea and nausea. It may irritate your intestines as it courses through them. If you have a history of digestive problems, you may want to avoid whey.
- It hardens substances in the kidney, whey decreases bone density. The mineral imbalance causes osteoporosis and bone fracture.
Why should you drink green smoothies?
Green smoothies are a recent hit for health enthusiasts and before you jump in let’s look at some pros and cons of green smoothies:
Pros: Green smoothies boost your health
Green smoothies are rich in nutrients. The amount of vitamins and minerals you get will depend on the fruits and vegetables you blend. That said, most fruits and vegetables have high amounts of Vitamins A and C. Fruits like bananas are high in potassium.
They are healthier than fruit juices. Juices, extractions from fruits, have no fiber content. Conversely, you would use whole fruits or vegetables to make smoothies and get all the fiber content you need.
Vegetables have a course, sometimes bitter taste, so it is difficult to appreciate them. A smoothie is a fruit and vegetable blend. The taste of the fruits hides the taste of the veggies, so you hardly notice them.
- Quick to prepare
- Contain high amounts of fiber
- They will relief you of acid reflux.
- They enhance your energy levels.
Cons: Are they actually that efficient?
Smoothies, as beneficial as they are, have nasty downsides as well.
You would use raw, leafy greens to make smoothies. While they have essential vitamins and minerals, they have large amounts of oxalate as well. Consuming them may cause you to develop calcium oxalate stones in the kidney.